Are you tired of struggling to come up with simple meals that are also healthy and allergen free? I know I was for a long time and as a health coach who helps people with allergies and healthy eating, this is one of the things I hear from people all the time. Well, the reality is that you can actually make a lot of meals with a reasonable amount of variety and flavor with 10 ingredients or less.
Here is my list of 10 ingredients that once I have on hand, I am able to make a lot of meals simply and without feeling like I am eating the same thing over and over.
While the title says 100 days of healthy and simple meals, you could possibly even create more than 100 days of healthy and simple meals with these ingredients. You will also notice that I do not include any gluten, dairy, sugar, nuts or other common allergens on this list, so unless you have a very unusual allergy then you should be able to eat all these meals without a problem. You will also note that you will probably need more ingredients in order to make enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is really just a way to make 1 meal per day without needing any added ingredients.
1. Quinoa- This is great because it has high fiber and protein and is low carb but yet is very versatile and you can make a ton of different meals with it. My favorite recipe book for cooking with quinoa is .
2. Brown Rice- While you don’t want to eat large quantities of any kind of rice. Brown rice has more nutrients in it than white rice and is also very versatile in terms of the recipes you can cook with it.
3. Chicken- Again another good for you ingredient that you can use in a lot of recipes. The easiest way to prepare it and then reuse it, is to either buy a large number of breasts and thighs and then saute them in olive oil and a little bit of water and save what you don’t eat for that meal in containers to be used throughout the next 4-6 days. It also freezes quite well, if you want to do an even large quantity and then warm it up when you are ready to eat it.
4. Mixed frozen veggies. There are lots of combinations but my favorite has carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. Again another great ingredient because of all the possibilities for using it.
5. Canned tuna. Again another great and easy to use ingredient. You want to be careful though because some brands have added soy, oil and other ingredients that you don’t want to eat. Find one that has just tuna, or tuna and water.
6. Frozen peas. Again another staple that you can’t go wrong with and that you can use for a variety of recipes.
7. Broccoli- You can use this either frozen or fresh and make a lot of things with it.
8. Eggs- I prefer brown eggs and cage-free. These are healthier for you and can make egg omelets with frozen veggie combinations.
9. Tomatoes- either fresh or canned. Again another can’t go wrong ingredient that you can use for soups, veggie stir-fries and more.
10. White dry beans. Again another great ingredient for making a variety of soups.
In addition, I recommend the following condiments and mixers. Okay so I know that you might want to count condiments as an ingredient but anyhow, 100 meals with 10 ingredients or less is still quite the feat wouldn’t you say?
Salt and Pepper
Coconut Milk or another non-dairy milk
Honey or Brown Sugar or Stevia
Chat with me