Is getting your child to eat a healthy lunch a challenge? It is for a lot of parents and even more so for children with special needs. However, there are lots of simple healthy lunch ideas you can use. Here are ten of my favorite simple healthy lunch ideas. I also recommend using something like a bento box for the lunch which makes it easier to combine different things for a lunch. You can use something like this one. 6 Pack – SimpleHouseware 3-Compartment Heavy Duty Bento Lunch Container Boxes, 36 ounces, 4 Color
You can of course combine several of these into one simple healthy lunch or add in a piece of fruit, nuts or carrot or celery sticks. You will want to try and accommodate your child’s taste preferences as much as possible too. There are also healthier options of things your child might really crave like macaroni and cheese, fruit snacks etc.
1. Celery with peanut butter or almond butter. (You can also add on some raisins for the ants on a log thing). Sun butter is also an option if your child is allergic to nuts.
2. Rice cakes with turkey or ham and cheese and lettuce- This is a healthier gluten free way to make a sandwich.
3. Guacamole and crackers(use gluten free ones if needed).
4. Homemade French Fries- make your own French fries with potatoes olive oil and salt and your child likely won’t notice the difference and they are a much healthier lunch idea.
5. Fruit smoothie with a little bit of spinach in it- sneak in the green with mostly fruit. You can also try some powdered greens like Terra Greens.
6. Homemade gluten free chicken nuggets Who says your child can’t have chicken nuggets that are healthier?
7. Applesauce or fruit cup
8. Lettuce wrap with tomato, lunch meat and avocado. (cheese too if your child isn’t dairy free) Another healthier option instead of a normal sandwich.
9. Gluten free and dairy free macaroni and cheese. Yes you really can make this a simple healthy lunch idea.
10. Chips and salsa- another classic that is healthier than a lot of other lunch options.
What simple healthy lunch ideas do you have? What did I miss? Share with me in the comments below.