Have you tried to make any paleo frozen desserts? I know I’ve tried them a few times but honestly, sometimes I just feel lazy. While I’m not really a strict paleo, I have been dairy free for some time which is a part of the paleo diet and lifestyle. However, since finding out in January that I have Hashimoto’s, I’ve been trying to go paleo as much as possible. I downloaded the book, Paleo Frozen Desserts: Amazing & Delicious, Quick & Easy, Low Calorie & Healthy on Amazon for free back in 2014 when it was available as a free download, (as of the date of this post in March 2018, it is $2.99), but had never really taken the time to read through it and use some of the recipes. However, lately, I’ve been experiencing sticker shock over the high cost of dairy-free ice creams. The average cost is about $5 for one pint depending on where you buy it, the brand and if it’s on sale or not. So it’s about 3 times more costly than ice cream made with cow’s milk.
So I recently took some more time to read through Paleo Frozen Desserts: Amazing & Delicious, Quick & Easy, Low Calorie & Healthy and found that making your own dairy-free ice cream, isn’t as difficult as it might seem.
Here are the five main things I’ve learned from reading this book:
1. You can use many of the same ingredients with dairy free ice cream as you do with ice cream made with cow’s milk. In fact, in most cases, all you need to do is change the cow’s milk for almond, coconut, cashew or other dairy free milk. You can also use the same ice cream maker you would use for regular ice cream.
2. Honey is a great sweetener and can be used with paleo frozen desserts just like you would sugar or other sweeteners.
3. You can use a blender to make dairy free ice cream and it makes it so easy. You just mix all the ingredients and then freeze for 5-6 hours.
4. 5-6 hours is the standard amount of time needed to make dairy free ice cream so the best way to make these paleo frozen desserts, is to plan ahead and make them at night so they can freeze while you are sleeping. Then in the morning, you will have delicious ice cream ready for you to eat and enjoy.
5. Almond flour can be used to make great cake pops. These are also really simple to make with just a few ingredients.
Which paleo frozen dessert do you want to try first?