Have you ever wondered about the differences between Essential Oils For Kids Vs Essential Oils for Adults? Many people do and I used to as well. Now I still don’t pretend to know everything about Essential Oils For Kids Vs Essential Oils for Adults, however, I have done enough research and have enough experience that I feel comfortable writing this blog post.
1. Dilution- This is the first and probably most important difference between using essential oils with adults vs. kids. While some essential oils can be used neat on the skin of adults without dilution, essential oils no matter which ones, should never be used neat on the skin of kids. Kids have skin that is much more sensitive than that of adults. Also because children have smaller bodies, their bodies absorb essential oils at a much faster rate than adults do. Kids also should have any essential oils that are applied to the diluted at twice the rate of that used with adults. So for example, 1 drop of essential oil diluted in the same amount of carrier oil for a child, compared with 2 drops of essential oil for an adult.
2. Certain essential oils aren’t good for kids- While it’s highly unlikely that a small amount of any essential oil will cause major damage to kids, there are certain essential oils that really aren’t good for children. Wintergreen is one of these. In fact, you will find that most brands of wintergreen come with a child proof safety cap and some aromatherapists argue that wintergreen can even not be good for adults let alone children. Cinnamon, Oregano, and Clove are some additional essential oils that depending upon who you ask, are considered to be potential problems for children under the age of 6.
3. Certain oils are better not used with kids- These include oils such as eucalyptus, and lemongrass.
4. In addition, some essential oils can effect the hormones and as such are not good for use with children since their bodies including their hormones are still developing. Examples of these include clary sage and geranium.
In short, while you can use essential oils with children, it takes some education and you really should inform yourself before use with kids. Diffusing essential oils in a household with children, is also quite different than applying these same essential oils directly to their skin.
Want some kid safe essential oil blends? Learn about them in this video I did specifically on essential oils for kids.
What is the aroma touch technique? I made this video below to explain it. Watch it and learn about how the aroma touch technique can help you have improved health and wellness. Learn about this unique method for applying essential oils.
Wow, I’ve been using essential oils for 8 years now. In some ways it seems like just yesterday, that I first tried an essential oil, in other ways, it seems like I’ve been using them forever. Anyhow, I wanted to summarize my experiences of what I have learned from the past 8 years of using essential oils.
1. Not all brands are created equal. I’ve tried a lot of brands and some are certainly better than others.
2. It’s best to focus on learning how to use and the benefits of using 1-2 oils at a time to avoid overwhelm. Essential oils have a lot of research and there is a lot of information and research on them so you can easily get overwhelmed if try to learn it all.
3. Some oils are best taken daily while others are best used only when needed which may be once or twice a week or once or twice a year or somewhere in between.
4. Certified aromatherapists can teach you a lot about essential oils but they don’t know everything.
5. Learning about essential oils is an ongoing process. You can never know everything about essential oils so keep on learning.
6. While your body may need one oil today, tomorrow it may need another one. As you use essential oils, your body will change and so will your needs for oils.
7. Always dilute the hot oils. I can’t emphasize this one enough. Hot oils like clove, oregano, cassia and cinnamon bark must be diluted or you can burn yourself.
8. A little goes a long way. When it comes to essential oils, more is not better.
9. When it doubt diffuse. Diffusing can be one of the best ways to benefit from an essential oil and all the oils can be diffused.
10.Learning about the experiences of others is good but using and learning from your personal experiences is best.
Have you ever considered using essential oils for dogs? This is something I get asked about on a fairly regular basis so I thought I would make this video to talk about it. Yes you can use essential oils for dogs. Listen in as I talk about how to use essential oils for man’s best friend.