Have you ever tried cooking with essential oils? I had never heard of it until a few years ago yet people have been using essential oils in cooking just like you would with herbs for years. Here are ten simple healthy and delicious gluten free recipes with essential oils.
1. Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa This is a yummy and delicious dish for the summer or fall or whenever you can find some salmon and mangos on sale. I think it would go great with some broccoli and rice or potatoes.
2. Quinoa Salad . I love quinoa salads and this is another great option. If you can’t have cheese, you could add in some avocado or Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast 4.5oz 2 Pack for extra flavor.
3. Carrot and Ginger Rice with Mint While I personally really love carrots and ginger, it had never occurred to me to cook them together with mint. I still haven’t tried this yet but look forward to giving these gluten free recipe with essential oils a try.
4. Coconut and Lemongrass Red Lentil Soup . I love lentil soups and coconut so this recipe offers a combination of two of my favorite flavors. This recipe reminds me of many Indian or Thai dishes.
5. Glazed Spicy Sweet Potatoes . I love sweet potatoes but they can be bitter tasting. This gluten free with essential oils recipe offers sweet potatoes with a nice twist.
6. Ginger Shrimp and Mango Skewers If you like shrimp and mango, this makes for a great recipe for a summer barbecue.
7. Costa Rican Black Bean Soup If you like black beans, then you will love this recipe. I really like black beans and I have made a similar soup many times without the essential oils. Using the oregano and thyme essential oils adds a nice flavor. Be careful though. Both of these essential oils are very hot. I recommend using a tooth pick to make sure you don’t put in too much.
8. Zucchini Tomato Basil Salad This is a nice refreshing summer salad and a great way to use up any extra basil and tomatoes from your garden.
9. Rosemary Mashed Potatoes. I love potatoes and I love the flavor or rosemary so this is a no brainer. You can also use coconut or almond milk with some olive oil or ghee if you can’t have dairy milk products. This recipe would be really yummy with the blacked salmon and mango salsa from recipe number 1.
10. Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Lime Dip I love sweet potato fries and avocado so this is a must on my list of delicious gluten free recipes with essential oils. It may be last, but it certainly isn’t least.
Which one of these recipes seems the most appealing to you?
Have you ever used essential oils in cooking vegetables and chicken? Watch the video below to learn how I do it. Essential oils can replace herbs and add flavor to your food so that you don’t have to use butter, oils or other dairy products, sauces and fats.
I love cooking with essential oils. They add a lot of flavor with just a drop or two and they work really well as replacements and more potent options instead of herbs. For example ginger oil instead of ginger, cilantro oil instead of cilantro, lemon oil instead of lemon juice etc.
Here are 10 of my favorite lemon essential oil recipes. For the recipes with meat and vegetables, I cook the ingredients together in a sauté pan with a little bit of water, and olive oil and then I add the lemon essential oil after the food is about 3/4 cooked. For the recipes with quinoa I cook the quinoa first in a rice cooker and then usually use it cold to cook it with the other ingredients. For the salads, I add a few drops on top. For the green smoothie, I add a few drops in with the other ingredients. For the lemonade I add 2-3 drops per 8 oz. of water.
1. Chicken, Potatoes and Broccoli
2. Salmon and Cabbage
3. Coconut milk, and bananna
4. Chicken, Rice and Broccoli
5. Quinoa, shrimp and peas
6. Quinoa, chicken and peas
7. Salad, tomatoes, tuna, eggs
8. Green smoothie- lemon is good inside any kind of green smoothie
9. Spinach, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms and other vegetables roasted.
10 Lemonade without sugar- water lemon oil and some honey or liquid steevia.
Have you ever thought about cooking with essential oils? I know I never did until a few months ago when I began researching it. That said, I now love cooking with them and here are a few tips you can use to cook with essential oils successfully.
1. Make sure that whatever essential oil you use to cook with is safe to use. You cannot just use any and ever oil and many store bought brands are harmful when digested so you need to read the directions on the bottle and make sure you can use it.
2. For best results use only essential oils that you would use the herb equivalent of in cooking. Examples include black pepper, rosemary, cilantro, lemon and orange.
3. Be careful and use only a few drops. If you put in too much you will get a very strong taste.
4. Add the oil midway through cooking. If you add it at the beginning it doesn’t work as well from my experience and if you wait until your food is already cooked then the flavor doesn’t absorb as much into the food.
5. Experiment with different combinations and see what works best for you.