One key to staying healthy during the winter is to eat healthy, and there are lots of healthy winter foods to enjoy. These healthy winter foods are foods that are warming, great for boosting your immune system and are more readily available during the Winter months.
- Yams or Sweet Potatoes. Even though you can enjoy these year round, these are often enjoyed more during the Winter season. My favorite way to eat these is baked with some butter or coconut oil and a taste of honey or brown sugar. So yummy.
- Artichokes- Cook them and enjoy them with some lemon wedges and butter. So good.
- Lentil soup- Cook the lentils with onions, carrots, and celery and you can also add in some chicken and chicken broth for even more flavor and to make the lentil soup even more filling and heartier.
- Garlic- garlic is a great immune booster so cooking with garlic more in the winter is a great way to boost your immunity. You can add it in to virtually every soup and casserole as well as other recipes.
- Ginger- this herb, spice and essential oil can add a lot of flavor, help support your digestive system and more. Add a little into soups, smoothies and more.
- Cinnamon- this great winter spice is awesome for adding to apple recipes, baking, puddings, chia seed recipes and much more.
- Apple Cider- This must have drink is very warming and when made properly and can be great for your immune system and overall health during the winter season. Adding in some cinnamon, clove, orange and or thyme can make it even better.
- Thyme- this warming spice and essential oil is great in soups and other Winter dishes. Be careful how much you use though. You can also add a bit to chicken and fish dishes.
- Chicken and Vegetable Soup- my favorite way to make this is to boil the bones first, then add in onions, carrots, celery, cabbage and a few potatoes. (optional) Then season with salt and pepper and a bit of garlic and or thyme if you want and have it available.
- Butternut Squash- Cook this and add a bit of butter or coconut oil and some salt and pepper to season.
- Herbed White Bean Soup Recipe– There are variations of this soup but the basic one is white beans with carrots, onions, chicken broth and some kind of ham or ham hock.
- Split pea soup- this is a great crockpot soup, you can make by cooking split peas with water, chicken broth, carrots, onions, and celery and salt and pepper and some thyme and 1-2 bay leaves.
Which one of these is your favorite healthy winter food?