If you have read any of my other posts, then you know that I am not a fan of allergy medications. I firmly believe that they cause more harm than good. There are a variety of allergy home remedies that work including some that I’m sure I’ve never tried. That said, here are the 5 allergy home remedies that I’ve found to work the best.
1. Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils. You put 2-3 drops in a 4 oz. glass of water and drink it 2-3 times per day or more if you are having bad allergies. You need to be careful though because you can’t use just any essential oils. They must be therapeutic grade and be pure enough to take internally which is not the case with all brands.
2. Local Honey- Eat 1-2 teaspoons 2-3 times per day. You can get it from a farmer’s market or from another local store you just need to be sure it is from a local farm. You can try non-local honey but it probably won’t work as well.
3. Using a neti-pot. This is especially helpful if you have sinus allergies and are prone to develop sinus infections. However, you do need to be careful.
4. Not eating wheat and corn during allergy season. Even if you can eat them during the rest of the year, it’s best to avoid them during the main allergy season. This is because wheat and corn are proven to increase and worsen hay fever and seasonal allergies.
5. Using a diffuser and or a humifider at night while you sleep. These can really help a lot. I also recommend adding either some lavender, or peppermint or breathe blend of essential oils.
What allergy home remedies have you used?