Have you ever eaten millet? If you are like a lot of people you are shaking your head and saying huh? Millet? What’s millet? Well this post is going to share with you all about how to cook millet and convince you why you should eat it and how to cook millet so that it tastes delicious.
One of the great things about millet is that it is very high in magnesium and there have been studies done that say that up to 90% of the United States population is deficient in magnesium so eating millet can help you with that.
The easiest way to cook millet is to use a rice cooker. Millet is a grain that cooks up nice and fluffy just like rice and you can use it with a lot of the same recipes where you would use rice. Put 2 cups of millet per 1 cup of water with a sprinkle of salt in your rice cooker and cook it just like you would rice. You can also boil water on the stove and cook your millet. It’s really easy to cook, however, actually making millet taste delicious is a bit more challenging.
Here are some of my favorite millet recipes:
1. Add some butter or olive oil and then saute some chicken, turkey or shrimp with mixed vegetables and mix with the millet.
2. Add some butter or olive oil with peas and tuna.
3. Add some butter or olive oil with green beans and tuna.
4. Add some butter or olive oil with zucchini and peppers.
5. Saute some broccoli, onions and peppers and then serve with the millet. (You can also add chicken or shrimp to this dish and it tastes delicious either way.)
6. You can also make a millet cereal with honey or brown sugar, coconut or almond milk, a dash of cinnamon, and some walnuts, almonds or pecans.
Take time and experiment with various ways to cook millet and I think you will be surprised at how good it is. Millet is also really cheap and of course naturally gluten free which is a bonus. Especially since most of the other gluten free grains other than rice are more expensive. Millet is actually cheaper than wheat and barley. You can get it at most grocery stores you can of course like most things find it on Amazon. Arrowhead Mills Whole Millet, 28 Ounce